March 21, 2012
Wellness - April 1st parade, April 7 - 6 mo anniversary, marching to Balboa 12pm
Event Reminder - comedy night tomorrow, somewhere in La Mesa, pay as you can
Finance - 4:30 - 5:30 in CP on GA nights. Meet an hour before sat GAs
Occupy Encinitas canceled protest because company agreed to remove advert from Limbaugh's show
No War on Iran statement - see previous notes
Breakout groups 10 mins
1) Group thinks should be a statement of anti-war over all not just Iran, changed wording, add any other country for any other reason.
2) Group agrees that capitalism should be denounced, issue with last statement, capitalism isn't the only cause of war, add crony capitalism, where's the solution
3) focused on 2 things; suggests amend to remove list of countries and add wording, reservations with clauses concerning capitalism, has concerns with mixing an anti war statement with an anti capitalist statement, wording change.
Proposer: doesn't want statement to be just about Iran, should be applicable to anywhere and anyplace, agrees to word change from group 3, capitalism takes away someone's labor and gives it to those who want to benefit from it not the worker, workers don't get fair share, war is driven by Halliburton, banks, that's the capitalism connection, doesn't believe presidents had isms, we've heard of people wasting surplus to gain instead of donating. Doesn't want to take capitalism out of the discussion, willing to table until Saturday, bring explanation of capitalism to group.
1) should have some explanation of how all systems can be capitalist.
2) doesn't like the idea of undoing capitalism, prefers controlled capitalism and socialism, can live with crony or corrupted capitalism, willing to hard block if capitalism stays
3) we need to open discussion with people to figure out capitalism, labels mean thing to people, have to be careful of that.
4) doesn't think this group can consent on this statement, may need weeks of discussion, agrees with antiwar, should limit it to just that.
5) relates anecdote
6) greed doesn't go away, will always have group of people who don't care for others, likes the idea of leaving economics out of antiwar statement, would like to see something about responsible capitalism, should be hashed out later, would hard block because statement is so broad, needs solution
7) relates anecdote, not everyone is greedy
8) framing is important, throw in military industrial complex, thinks capitalism is problem and should be discussed, greed was tamed by culture, we have a problem with culture, opposed to capitalism, invasions a more democratically controlled future
9) doesn't think we should worry about framing, were the only ones who will read this, if capitalism is the problem, then consent to this, doesn't think we should block if capitalism is the problem
10) relates anecdote, we all have self interest, greed and self interest can be tamed when there is a community effort, we can put solutions forward, capitalist don't come up with ideas they profit from them, we need to know why war is being funded
11) wants to reread amendment
12) this statement brings up a bigger problem than we can handle tonight, we all have different opinions on capitalism, why do we need a statement, we are not ready as a movement t make a statement, people aren't as self interested as previously stated
13) reads quote, speaking against capitalism is a big statement to make, capitalism lead us here, we need to step it up, greed is not a common human value, greed is the belief in a dominant culture, be strong, ideas need to come up, people need to be afraid, we need to do this
14) weather we are still a movement of the 99%? Can the 99% get behind this?
15) alternatives have existed for along time now, co-opts have been around for a hundred years, company's should exist to help the community, there is no way of knowing if people will back unless we put it out there, slot of people have been silenced for a long time and you can't know what someone thinks until you ask them
16) we are coming here to create a discussion, we need to bring out the stuff that doesn't appear in MSM, if something isn't talked about it doesn't exist socially, agrees with military industrial complex, wants to keep post capitalism in the last part
17) definitely a culture condition in this country, we are here in a think tank type group to benefit the 99%
18) dislikes the 99% designation, it describes a division of power, should talk about class, we fit into class descriptions based on our cultural expectations, 99% tricks us into believe common grounds that do not exist, some may be here, we should be mindful of class when talking about the 99%, we are expressing a compromise when we use this designation that doesn't exist, rereads amendment (accepted by proposer)
How does post-capitalism differ from over coming capitalism? It doesn't, semantics.
Proposal does offer solutions, with perspective.
Does amendments remove block-leaning people? One says no, has problems labeling.
Moderator suggests moving to another breakout group session, 10 min
Reason for hard block has not been addressed, suggests word change to not alienate people, need to use words that resonate with people, people don't equate cash and capitalism with war, other potential block still stands, need to use phrases people understand, would rescuing blocks if replace capitalism with greed and corruption
Proposer: still thinks capitalism's the root of war, greed and economic despair, wants to table until M24 action GA. We can talk about this proposal there.
GA consents to discuss this proposal on Friday as well as a discussion on the 99%.
1) welcomes back people
2) Fish's trial at 8:15am, department 2 county building
3) no occupy your corner today, may be one on Friday if people are interested
4) don't forget about comedy night tomorrow, see Facebook page
5) taking step back from responsibilities due to personal reasons
6) women of San Diego spaghetti dinner tomorrow, gonna be at Fish's trial
7) any word from UCSD about meeting? Anyone with contacts?
8) breakdown of M24, speakers at 4p, march at 5p through civic center, speaker there, then march to fed building, bring instruments.
Moderators for M23 Howard and Maricelle.